Tuesday, 5 August 2014

On My Shelf: Fragrances

Okay, I admit it. I'm a fragrance hoarder. I like the pretty bottles and all the choices and almost everything about perfume. However, it has got to the point where I have to have a big sort out. So why not reflect on a few of my favourites of winters passed while doing so?



DKNY: Be Delicious Fresh Blossom

I really loved this version of the DKNY Be Delicious perfume when it initially came out. Though it isn't quite what I was expecting (though the scent does have floral undertones, it is primarily a sweet citrus scent) it is a really nice fresh day fragrance, but wouldn't quite be suitable to transition into night.

Top Notes - Grapefruit, Apricot, Cassis

Middle Notes- Jasmine, Rose

Base Notes- Orris Root, Musk

Benefit: Lookin' To Rock Rita

This perfume was a gift and is something I wouldn't normally pick up at a fragrance counter. While I've had a fair amount of experience with Benefit make-up (I'm pretty certain posietint is soon going to become a holy grail for me) I'd never tried a benefit fragrance prior to recieving Rita. On first scent it smells a lot like a fruity holiday cocktail, which is lovely, however the dry down is a lot more subtle and has a woody scent. In fact, what appears on first sniff to be a lovely summer day fragrance is definitely more suited to winter and evening wear. 

Top Notes - Lemon, Freesia, Coconut

Middle Notes - Fig, Hyacinth, Violet

Base Notes - Sandalwood, Brazillian Rosewood, Vanilla

 Burberry: Burberry for Women

Let me tell you something, this scent is phenomenal. When I picked up this bottle to review it, even holding it made me feel sophisticated. This is a powerful perfume guys, powerful. It's also a truly transitional scent, light enough to wear during the day thanks to notes of fresh green apple, but with a gorgeous deep undertone of musk and jasmine for the evening. It's not a particularly 'fresh' scent in comparison to the DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom or the G Harajuku Lovers perfume, but it is a stand out in comparison. This is the scent of a powerful lady.

Top Notes - Fresh Green Apple, Blackcurrant

Middle Notes -Cedar Wood, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Moss

Base Notes - Musk, Vanilla


Harajuku Lovers: G, Lil Angel, Music & Love

As a celebrity perfume, I know many people will be verse to the Harajuku Lovers scents. I'll admit, I picked up these scents initially because I have a mild style crush on Gwen Stefani. However,the range does offer a nice diverse selection of scents, if fleeting (these perfumes definitely need to be topped up throughout the day) . I understand the perfumes are now discontinued, but still available online sometimes. Either way, I have mixed feelings. They sometimes don't quite feel like mature scents and the lasting power is slightly disappointing.

Marc Jacobs: Honey

This perfume is pretty much universally loved. I know I love it for sure! It is sweet (and you can actually pick out most of the notes, especially the peach) but also sophisticated. It was pretty much my staple for 2013/2014 and I absolutely adore this scent, which is strong but also delicate.Give this a sniff when you're next at a drug store and I promise you you'll fall in love.

Top Notes - Pear, Mandarin

Middle Notes - Orange Blossom, Honeysuckle, Apricot, Peach Nectar

Base Notes - Smooth Woods, Honey, Golden Vanilla 


 Victoria's Secret: Angel

This was a gift from family while I was staying in New York last year and I really like it as a light body mist. It is fruit and sensual without being too overbearing and I really like the light dry down scent. I really think this suits well as a summer scent, though maybe not so suitable for winter (especially in England!)

Top Notes - Pear, Pink Pepper

Middle Notes - Violet, Gardenia

Base Notes - Ambergris, Argarwood, Musk



What is your favourite fragrance for summer?

1 comment:

  1. Miss Dior Cherie is my favourite. I also love D&G No, it's very long lasting and really affordable!

    ReplyDelete